Causes and Solutions
Causes and Solutions
The passion of volunteers is ignited when people can help the causes they care about. Points of Light inspires, equips and mobilizes volunteers in support of these main causes:
Veterans and Military Families
Joining together with and for our veterans addresses critical needs and helps build stronger communities. Points of Light’s military programs connect service members, veterans and their families with their communities through service and support.
- Volunteer to support your local military community.
- Learn how your community can support military members and veterans.
- Donate to support the mobilization of thousands of volunteers.
A strong community is a resilient community, one that’s ready and able to work together if things go wrong. For a community to thrive and survive, residents, nonprofits, governments and businesses must plan for how they will respond to and recover from disaster together.
- Get ready with these disaster preparedness resources.
- Volunteer in a relief and recovery effort.
- Learn how volunteers can help in a local response effort.
Everyone and every family should have a chance at a better life. In an economically sustainable community, people help each other learn how to catch up and then get ahead. In these vibrant communities, people are able to achieve financial stability by becoming better managers of their money and of their futures.
- Learn how AmeriCorps VISTA members train volunteers as financial coaches.
- Mentor youth to help them prepare for college and careers.
- Contact us to volunteer as a financial coach in your community.
Youth and Education
When all members of the community become involved in the lives of youth, student attendance and the quality of education greatly improves. Youth have the power to make their mark on the world when they are empowered through service, and can access the education and resources that can help them give back to their communities.
- Learn how service prepares youth for college and careers.
- Inspire youth to get excited about community service.
- Find out how young adults boost the academic achievement of low-income students.
Civil and Human Rights
Social change doesn’t just happen – people and communities must work together to advocate for freedom and equality without bounds or limits. It is a transformation that takes understanding, acceptance, cooperation and volunteer service.
- Volunteer during the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service.
- Host an America's Sunday Supper.
- Donate to support the MLK Day of Service.
To do their world-changing work, nonprofits must deliver effective programs and also improve their ability to achieve their mission. Volunteers – and the skills, energy and time they give – offer one of the best ways for nonprofits to become greater at doing good.
- Get certified in using volunteers to increase capacity.
- Access training, consulting and other tools.
- Volunteer and help a nonprofit in your area do more.
Innovative social change comes in many forms – and can come from the nonprofit and for-profit sectors. Successful social entrepreneurs often include people as part of the solution to critical social problems. These entrepreneurs work to create greater, more accessible pathways to economic opportunity.
- Apply for support for your for-profit or nonprofit startup.
Recognizing the exceptional work of volunteers keeps their good work going, and inspires others to serve. Celebrating the power of individuals to create change in their communities can also bring more attention and resources to a cause.