Director, Family Volunteering
Director, Family Volunteering
New York City Office
Points of Light – the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service – mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 250 cities and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light (POL) engages 4 million volunteers in 30 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people where it’s needed most. For more information, go to www.pointsoflight.org.
Research suggests that family volunteering strengthens families and communities and helps instill in the next generation a lifelong commitment to volunteering. generationOn, Points of Light’s Youth and Family division, seeks a Director to deepen, expand and launch programs dedicated to engaging families across the country in more and better volunteer service.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in program development, project and event management, facility with analytics and measurement and exceptional partnership and relationship building skills. This position will collaborate with POL departments and external partners and stakeholders. This position reports to the Vice President of generationOn and will work closely with the Chief Strategy and Engagement Officer and the generationOn staff as a member of a lean, high-energy and fast-moving team.
The Director will work effectively to meet the ambitious impact goals. S/he will:
- Bring expertise in the fields of volunteer engagement, youth service and volunteering, and family volunteerism
- Develop and implement systems and infrastructure for equipping organizations to create and implement family volunteering projects
- Develop and deliver a partnership strategy that will help POL achieve its growth goals related to family volunteering
- Maintain official records and documents related to POL’s family volunteer programming
- Work with the evaluation department to maintain accurate data and support evaluation for all activities related to family volunteering internal to the organization and in cooperation with our network of partners
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in family volunteerism, service learning, and civic engagement
- Work closely with digital and technology teams to determine how to best deliver family volunteering resources to nonprofit customers and partners
- Oversee the development of family volunteering program materials, resources, and curriculum
- Develop grant making strategy to support days of service and signature events focused on family volunteering
- Work with nonprofit partners to ensure excellence in program delivery – from participant recruitment to evaluation of impact.
- Change course when warranted to ensure that goals are met and vision is achieved
- Work closely with program funders
- Collaborate with the Development team as needed to secured new funding
- Serve as Points of Light’s national spokesperson for family volunteering, including representing Points of Light at speaking events and in the media as needed
Qualifications and Skills
The candidate should demonstrate superior project management skills, a collaborative engagement style, an ability to translate vision into action, experience with client management, and success in working effectively across sectors (nonprofit, government and corporate). S/he must be able to thrive in an environment characterized by growth, diversity and change.
The successful candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred
- 10 or more years of experience leading a national initiatives or leading a nonprofit organization
- Demonstrated success in project management and client relationship management
- An entrepreneurial spirit and creative approach to strategy development
- A commitment to community service
- Experience in managing an annual budget of one million dollars
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Superior time management skills with a high attention to detail
- A high degree of personal initiative and accountability with the desire and ability to meet aggressive programmatic goals
- Flexibility and the ability to infuse creativity, innovation and insight into program design and implementation
- Excellent computer skills including database management. Knowledge of Salesforce a plus The ability to travel up to 30% of the time
- This position description identifies the major responsibilities of this job. It does not include all aspects of the position such as the potential duties assigned by supervisors and the requirement for flexibility in helping others for the organization’s overall benefit.
Salary: Competitive based upon experience, with excellent benefits package. To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org - please include “Family” in the subject line.