ServiceWorks VISTA Leader
Do you believe that innovation drives results and passion overcomes obstacles? Then join a fast-paced, mission-driven organization with a decidedly entrepreneurial spirit.
Points of Light (POL) – the world's largest organization dedicated to volunteer service – mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 250 cities and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages 4 million volunteers in 30 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people where it's needed most. Please visit www.pointsoflight.org for more information.
ServiceWorks is an innovative program powered by the Citi Foundation, the Corporation for National and Community Service and Points of Light. In each Service Works city, national service members will involve youth in volunteer service and civic engagement as a means to build leadership and professional skills and inspire them to pursue higher education and careers. In year-round training, youth will learn about social issues impacting their communities, participate in and lead service projects, and learn professional and leadership skills that will lead to opportunities for college completion and/or long-term paid work. In addition, youth will have access to mentoring, coaching, professional networks and support from skills-based volunteers.
Have you served at least one year as a VISTA? Do you want to develop leadership skills while supporting VISTAs in their efforts to fight poverty and empower communities?
ServiceWorks VISTA Program members will develop a youth service and employability training program to provide professional development, networking, and project management skills, ultimately increasing employability for young adults (16‐24 year‐olds) participating in the program. VISTAs will engage volunteers to support training provision, mentorship and long‐term program sustainability.
We are recruiting one VISTA Leader to work with our program staff in developing resources, providing training, and developing a strong network among the fifty national VISTAs placed across the country through this program. The VISTA Leader will primarily focus on development and provision of project specific resources and training to members. The VISTA Leader will also facilitate communication and networking among members, helping to develop ServiceWorks Program identity. Duties and responsibilities include:
- VISTA Project Support:
- VISTA Leader will develop resources and training to support the VISTAs in achieving the goals of their VISTA projects.
- VISTA Leader will be trained in the financial coaching curriculum, then providing ongoing support to VISTAS implementing it locally.
- VISTA Leader will develop a program toolkit to support long-term sustainability of this new model in local communities.
- Member Networking and Communication
- VISTA Leader will support member communication and networking via one-one calls, webinars, and discussion/networking opportunities.
- VISTA Leader will continue to increase HON National Service Social Media utilization and member engagement in these tools (Facebook, Twitter, Google Site).
- VISTA Leader will increase member best practice sharing and peer to peer engagement. VISTA Leader will act as a resource contact for members to assist with finding information, materials and resources related to their project.
- VISTA Leader will provide peer support to members to assist with common issues such as living on a budget; fatigue during the service year; and feeling connected to their community impact.
- Member Training:
- VISTA Leader will develop resource guides for economic opportunity program areas, such as VITA/EITC, Financial Literacy, and Benefits Access, and Points of Light and CNCS resources.
- VISTA Leader will assist with development and provision of member training opportunities, bringing the member perspective to the development of the trainings.
- VISTA Leader will develop resources for members to assist them with accessing their VISTA and A*C benefits such as child care assistance; the health benefit; and their education award.
Service Term: July 23, 2015 – July 22, 2016, Full-time
Position Contact: Terra Gay, Senior Director, Education Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must have served at least one year as a VISTA member
- Must be a US Citizen, National or Permanent Resident
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
How to apply: Go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=61728&fromSearch=true and follow instructions for submission of an application at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do. Applications are only accepted via the My AmeriCorps portal.